Shooting films in public space in Stockholm

The first step when planning a film shoot in Stockholm is to evaluate suitable locations. In order to use public space, you need a police permit.

Stockholm offers a wide range of unique environments for film-makers, such as modern cityscapes, breathtaking scenery, wide expanses of water, and historical landmarks. We welcome organisations that are looking to shoot films in Stockholm.

Choosing a film location

The first step when planning a film shoot is to evaluate suitable locations.

Every location is unique and has its own circumstances. Keep in mind that what works at one location might not work at another in terms of different permits.

Police permits and street closure permits

A police permit is required if you wish to conduct a film shoot in a public space.

Public spaces include roads, streets, pavements, squares, parks and other locations used by large numbers of people. Public spaces are often owned by the City, but some private land is also considered to be public space.

Police permits for film shoots

Complete the application form on the police website. The form should be submitted to the police together with a sketch of how you intend to set up your shoot. Your sketch does not need to be to scale, but you must indicate clearly where you intend to place objects as well as their dimensions.

The police process your application

The police will determine whether your desired location is available at the desired time. If it is, the location will be booked for you. If not, the police will contact you in order to choose an alternative location or a new date for the film shoot.

If you are planning to set up objects on City land, the police will refer your case to the Traffic Administration.

If your application concerns private land, it is your responsibility to check with the landowner whether you are allowed to use the location during the period in question.

The police issue the permit

If the police and the City approve your application, the police will issue you with a permit for usage of public space. The permit must have been issued before you start using the location. It should include everything you intend to set up or place at the location and the duration that the location will be used.

Permit to close and clear streets

If you need to close a public street temporarily, you will need a Traffic Control Device Plan (TA-plan). This might be because the street needs to be gritted or filled with smoke, or because a vehicle is going to be driven in the wrong direction.

If you need to clear the street of cars, you will need to apply for a Change in Local Traffic Regulations (LTF). This might be relevant if you, for example, are shooting a period film and do not want modern cars in the shot.

A TA-plan is not usually required to stop vehicles for 1–3 minutes while shooting. Just include this information in the police application and it will be included in the police permit. SL buses must never be stopped unless it has been explicitly specified in the police permit.

Traffic Control Device Plan (TA-plan), (pdf, 331 kB, new window)

Local Traffic Regulations (LTF), (pdf, 381 kB, new window)

Application for Traffic Control Device Plan (TA-plan), (pdf, 99 kB, new window)

Application form for Local Traffic Regulations, LTF (in Swedish), (docx, 63 kB, new window)

Fees for film shoots

The police always charge a fee for applications for film shoots in public spaces. 

The police charge an administrative fee of 700 SEK per application, regardless of whether the application is approved or denied.

If your permit is approved, the City of Stockholm will charge you a fee to use the location. This fee is charged on the basis of the Fees Act (1957: 259)  and according to the rates determined by the City Council.

The size of the fee is dependent on the zone in which the location is situated. You can check which zone a location belongs to in the zoning map for fees.

Fees for film/TV/photo shoots

Fees are calculated as follows:

  • Zones A–D – 254 SEK an hour

Fees for Mobile PCRs and similar

Fees are calculated as follows for usage that concerns vehicles only:

  • Zones A–D – 800 SEK per vehicle

Terms and Conditions for Usage of Public Space for film shoots

If the police and the City of Stockholm approve your application, the police will issue you with a police permit. This permit will be accompanied by an appendix that specifies the terms and conditions for usage of public space for film shoots and mobile PCR set-up .

Read the terms and conditions carefully. They include provisions for mobile PCR set-up, safety and restoration. Sometimes you may need to inform the local residents that you will be filming in the area.

The terms and conditions also include information on who to contact if you need access to electricity or water.

Terms and Conditions for Usage of Public Space for Film Shoots and Mobile PCR set-up (pdf, 454 kB, new window)

Other regulations and permits for film shoots

In addition to the police permit, you might need to apply for further permits, for example you might need a permit for vehicles driving to and from the film location. In addition, you must have dispensation if you wish to breach existing traffic regulations while driving during a shoot.

Vehicle permits

You will need dispensation if

  • your vehicle is longer than 12 metres and you do not stay on the routes for through traffic
  • your vehicle has a gross weight of over 3.5 tonnes and you do not stay on the routes for through traffic at night between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.
  • you have to drive on pavements, squares or park paths to reach the film location. You may only receive dispensation to drive on such surfaces in exceptional cases when there are no other options available. This also applies to restricted streets where motor vehicle traffic is prohibited.

Dispensations from traffic regulations are issued by the Permits Department at the Traffic Administration. They charge a fee for permits and dispensations.

It is your responsibility to comply with applicable regulations and guidelines.

Last updated